Restoring a motion sensor on a security spot flood light with Autosol Polish
In this polishing tip a motion sensor lens is cleaned and restored using Autosol Metal Polish. This light would not come on when you came into its range. As a result the security flood lights would not turn on. Rather than replace the whole unit, Autosol Polish was used to clean the fogged lens of the motion detector.The unit had been in service for about 15 years and the plastic lens had become hazed over and obscure. Autosol Polish was used to clean the lens to its original clarity. The light sensor now works fine and did not need to be replaced.
Instructions and Application :
1. Using a pair of nitrile gloves helps to keep your hands clean as well as being a good way to apply polish. Apply a small amount of Autosol onto your finger tip and spread it thinly on the face of the motion detectors lens. Just a small amount of polish is needed. Cover the entire plastic lens and let it sit there and work for a minute or two.
2. Then using light pressure rub the polish in small circular motions with either your gloved finger tip or a soft cloth over the lens.
3. Turn the cloth over to a clean spot and wipe off the polish residue. Repeat steps 1, 2 & 3 again if necessary.
4. Buff with a microfiber cloth to a nice clean finish.
5. Total elapsed time to do this was about 5 minutes. That is way faster and easier than rewiring in a new motion detector and less costly too.
Before and After: