Guide to polishing a brass hanging lamp fixture with Simichrome polish
In this polishing tip a 30 year old hanging brass light fixture is restored using Simichrome Metal Polish.
1. Apply a dab of Simichrome to the finger tip of your nitrile glove about the size of a dime.
2. Apply the polish to the arms of the light fixture and base finial and rub it evenly over the entire surface with moderate pressure. Let stand for a couple of minutes to work, but do not let the polish dry.
3. Although any soft cloth will work fine, a microfiber cloth does a better job of removing the polish residue. Flip the microfiber cloth to a clean area and shine to the desired sheen.
4. Continue the process on the shade holder & globe part of the hanging lamp following the above application. In the intricate detail of the pierced design of the shade holder, use a Fuller Horse Hair Detail Brush to get the polish in and out of the intricate design areas of the light fixture.
5. As this is a vintage piece, the idea is to just clean and polish the lamp fixture so that it looks good, not shine it to a brilliant mirror finish. Although you certainly could if that was the finish you wanted.
Hanging Light Fixture Before Being Polished:
Before and After Close Ups: